Stephen Spence’s chicken and rice recipe is just 1 of 11 tasty recipes shortlisted for the Supplement Centre protein recipe competition.
To view all 11 recipes, download the Ultimate Protein Recipes cookbook or go to the Competition post for links to each recipe.
Vote for your favourite recipes using the social buttons on the left. Bon Appetit.
Why I like this – Yummy, healthy and great for all the family! Chicken breast is a lean, high-protein meat which kids love. Brown rice is high in fibre and contains more vitamins than refined white rice.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Ingredients (serves 4)
Chicken & sauce
– 3-4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
– 1-2 tbsp olive oil
– 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
– ¼ tsp fresh chopped ginger
– ¾ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
– ¼ cup apple juice
– 1 cup frozen peas
– 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
– 1 tbsp lemon juice
– ½ cup water
– ¼ cup soy sauce
– 2 tbsp fresh coriander (chopped, for garnish)
– 2 cups brown rice
– 5 cups boiling water
– Pinch of salt
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan/wok.
2. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
3. Remove the chicken.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and stir over medium heat until mixed well.
5. Add the chicken and bring to the boil.
6. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and add the brown rice, with a pinch of salt. Simmer until the rice is soft.
8. When both chicken and rice are cooked, garnish with coriander and serve.
For a lower-carb option, swap the brown rice for wild rice. Wild rice will take slightly longer to cook – but it’s worth the wait!
If you like this recipe, give it the thumbs up, by clicking the social buttons on the left hand side of this page.