So Pancake Day (or Shrove Tuesday if you want to get all posh about it) is here again! Woopee!
But what if you are eating clean? It’s all well and good supplementing with fat burners, but if you’re chucking the world’s supply of syrup down your gob, they aren’t going to do much good.
So, we borrowed Lindsay Benson, better known as Lean Bean Nutrition, to see if how to make protein pancakes – and how to make Pancake Day fit your macros!
Take it away Bean!
First of all
Try swapping the self raising flour in pancakes to ground almonds for a healthy alternative pancake. Almonds provide a flavourful, nutty component to sweet dishes. The benefits of including almonds in the diet are countless.
• The nutrient dense almonds are an excellent source of vitamin E, a fat soluble antioxidant
• They are a great source of protein, magnesium and fibre
• Research has discovered that 2 ounces of almonds helps weight maintenance. Almonds help lower the bad cholesterol in our bodies (LDL)
• The oleic acid (unsaturated fatty acid) helps reduce blood pressure and helps in the fight against coronary heart disease
• These little nuts are packed full of B-complex vitamins, including riboflavin, thiamine, pantothenic acid and pyridoxine
Add all these benefits together, and you’ll find one awesome little nut. So let’s get crunching.
Almond Protein Pancakes
Ingredients (serves 2)
• 1 Egg
• 80g ground almonds
• 1 scoop of protein powder
• 70ml skimmed milk or almond milk
• 2g Bicarbonate of soda
• 5g Ground (milled) flaxseed
Pour all the above ingredients into a bowl and whisk until fully combined.
Get the ingredients here…
To make flat pancakes…
Heat a non-stick pan with 1 tsp of coconut oil. Using a spoon, pour small circles of mixture into the pan. Allow to cook on a low-medium heat. When bubbles form on the surface flip the pancakes and cook for a further minute before serving warm.
To make Blueberry Pancake cups…
Preheat the oven to 180C, lightly grease a muffin tin and pour mixture into the slot. Only half fill the muffin tins. Place in the oven for 10 minutes. At 5 minutes take out from the oven and rotate the pan, allowing the mixture to form up the sides and creating a dip in the middle (repeat twice).
Once cooked fill with blueberry jam and blueberries.