Amy Lee’s protein bars recipe is just 1 of 11 tasty recipes shortlisted for the Supplement Centre protein recipe competition.
Vote for your favourite recipes using the social buttons on the left. Happy snacking.
Why I like this – These snack bars are full of protein and are great to take to the gym for a post-workout treat.
Preparation time – 5-10 minutes
Cooking time – 15 minutes (plus cooling time)
– 1 cup oats
– 1 cup chocolate whey protein powder
– 1 cup ground flaxseed, pumpkin seed, sunflower seed mix
– 5 tbsp peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
– 10 tbsp light honey
– ½ cup cranberries
– ½ cup raisins
– 1 tbsp cinnamon
– 2 eggs (beaten)
– 200g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa)
1. Preheat an oven to 190oC (gas mark 5). Grease and base line a medium-sized rectangular baking tray.
2. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
3. In a separate, microwavable mixing bowl, combine the honey with the peanut butter and heat in a microwave for 15-20 seconds (or until the mixture is quite runny).
4. Add the dry ingredients to the peanut butter/honey mixture and stir.
5. Add the eggs to bind all of the ingredients together and stir thoroughly.
6. Pour the mixture into the greased baking tray and level with a pallet knife or spatula.
7. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
8. Remove the cooked protein bars from the oven and allow to cool slightly – leave them in the baking tray.
9. While the protein bars are cooling, melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a saucepan of boiling water.
10. Pour the melted chocolate over the protein bars and spread evenly. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
11. Place the baking tray in the fridge until the chocolate is set hard.
12. Divide the contents of the tray into evenly sized rectangular or square bars.
For a different flavour, try replacing the eggs with 1 cup of almond milk. Alternatively, swap the raisins and cranberries for your favourite dried fruit such as apricots or cherries.
If you’re trying to lose weight, leave out the chocolate.
If you think this protein bar recipe is great, give it a vote or two, by clicking the social buttons on the left hand side of this page.